Monday, May 18, 2015

Friday: Day 10. Throwing Money At Disappointment with Happy Results

Friday, May 15, I woke up feeling cheerful and silly following the previous night's meltdown.

I vowed to get a rental car and make the most of my weekend. After all, if it weren't for the fact that I was homesick for my boys and disappointed over the would-be NY trip, I would otherwise be thrilled to spend a weekend with a per diem, a loaded kindle and no chores or schedule.

At work I was pleased to learn that TexasRose and FeistySue were also staying in town for the weekend, and that they intended to be social.

Immediately after work I went to Enterprise and got my car. Driving out of the lot, I felt immeasurably better. A small part of my meltdown had been because I dreaded feeling trapped, not only in town, but in the hotel room. For $10 a day  I fixed that. If only I could throw a Hamilton at the rest of my problems. Hmm, $10 a day to cure anxiety or keep me at a healthy weight? Sold! Alas, Enterprise was not so forward thinking. I left with only a car.

Weekend car rental and gas =$60.

I met TexasRose and FeistySue back at the hotel and we headed out in Ginger's rental to a local mall for our first girls' outing. FeistySue and I were wearing what we wore to work for casual Friday.  I rocked a pair of jeans and brown v-neck tee with brown/turquoise slip-on Crocs. FeistySue was equally casual in a polo with leggings. But my girl TexasRose had taken the time to change into a pair of short shorts and a FlashDance-style tunic designed to fall fetchingly off one shoulder as she moved or gestured. The tunic required a strapless bra.

I'm impressed my Crocs matched my tee; and this woman is wearing a tunic that required a strapless bra. Our first stop was a nail salon. We got pedicures. I added a gel French manicure -the very height of sophistication from my 1990s youth-  to complete the splurge.

Pedicure and Gel Manicure plus tip=$62. 
Pre-mall stop @ Kmart to buy flip flops for pedicure=$8. 


For dinner we went to the cheesecake factory, where TexasRose immediately ordered a bloody mary: "Y'all can hold the celery or any other vegetable y'all might wanna throw in there." When the waitress left, TR said to us, "Y'all need to know something about me right from the start. I don't eat vegetables. None."

Despite that opener, we managed to have non-superficial conversation. TexasRose confided that she started drinking "spirits" more regularly after her husband died in February of problems related to his kidney transplant. FeistySue and I discovered we were both married to Puerto Ricans; and compared stories about joining our Spanish families. We talked about parenting. All of us are moms and TexasRose is a grandmother of 6! We shared our work histories leading up to meeting each other; and we promised to network and pass on leads for future jobs.

Two appetizers and a dessert plus tip  from Cheesecake Factor: $45ish. 

After dinner, we shopped a bit. FeistySue and I popped into Bath & BodyWorks. I went in to buy a trial-size hand lotion and ended up buying two 16-oz lemon scented lotions (a $20 purchase practically guaranteed to explode in my luggage and destroy my entire business casual wardrobe).

Body Lotion: $20. 

Meanwhile, TexasRose kept disappearing.  She'd say she was going somewhere, say outside to smoke, but we'd run into her somewhere else and she hadn't been to smoke yet. Or she'd say she was going to a certain store but wouldn't be there. It was odd. Like she was being mysterious but for no apparent reason. The entire evening was voluntary. No need to give us the run around. Eventually we all found each other and headed back to the hotel.

FeistySue and I left again at 10 p.m. to go see PitchPerfect2. On our way out we see TexasRose getting into a car with some random dude. Again with the mysteriousness. Later, we expressed our relief that she hadn't been murdered and she just laughed and said they had gone on an alcohol run together.

FeistySue and I enjoyed our movie date. I can honestly say I enjoyed her company; and not just because it was better than being alone for the weekend. We laughed at the same stuff and were comfortable around each other.

Movie ticket plus bottle of water from concessions: $20

We made it back safely to the hotel after the movie and confirmed our plans to meet up with TexasRose the next day.

Grand Total of the Cancelled-Trip-Consolation-Spending-Spree=$215 (ish)
Enjoying a Carefree Evening and Not Feeling Sorry For Myself=Priceless


How Miss Magnolia Does Casual Friday: Brown Tee and BrownCrocs

Best $10 I spent all weekend

TexasRose and FeistySue on our way to nail salon


1990 called. It wants its manicure back. 

Pitch-er Perfect with FeistySue

Happy Selfie sent to Jeff @ bedtime. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment